Journey, Persistence & The Power of Rejection (026)
In this episode, I speak about Journey, Persistence and the Power of Rejection, using examples from my many experiences of rejection to illustrate the often beautiful ‘other side’ of rejection, and how powerful it can become. Huge thanks to Podcorn (https://podcorn.com/) for sponsoring this episode. Explore sponsorship opportunities and start monetizing your podcast by signing up here: https://podcorn.com/podcasters/
- Definition of Rejection
- Areas in my life I have been rejected - Music/Entertainment, Academically, Relationships, General Acceptance (e.g. Bullying), Medicine and Rejection of Self:
- X-Factor USA (NJ)
- The Voice USA (NY)
- Compound Auditions with Ne-Yo (Boston, MA)
- Essence Festival Rejection (NY) - Brian Michael Cox (Producer who was a judge)
- Amateur Night at the Apollo (Harlem, NY)
- The Lion King Broadway → See my blog post on this audition here: https://www.marioevon.com/blog/2019/2/21/i-auditioned-for-the-lion-king-broadway
- Grammy Album submission Rejection
- Nyammings Rejection
- Berklee College of Music vs Ithaca College
- Chevening Scholarship Rejection
- Deferred from Medical school the year I ventured into local theatre ‘The Lion King’ and ‘Once on This Island’.
- Being broken up with
- General Acceptance
- Self-rejection & Negative self-talk
- Quotes from ‘The Power of Self-Discipline: NO EXCUSES’ by Brian Tracy ← Purchase Brian’s book by using this affiliate link.
- “Persistence is self-discipline in action.” - Brian Tracy
- “Refuse to blame others or make excuses.” - Brian Tracy
- Tips & Words of Advice:
- Patience, Perspective & Persistence.
- There is great Power in Rejection as there is always a lesson to be learned.
- Don’t be disappointed about the pain of rejection, because that is where all the growth comes from.
- Rejection gives you a growth advantage - Some of the toughest people we know have received the most rejection.
- I always listen before I speak.
- I never give unsolicited advice unless I’m asked.
- I ask questions to seek understanding before I assume, because I know not of another man or woman’s journey without asking what they have done to get to where they are.
- Let’s be more sensitive to one another as we traverse this life.
- I discovered my worth and learned to be persistent through rejection.
Join our newsletter
Stay up to date re all things Talk Truth. We promise not to overload or spam your mailbox :)